Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 3

Due to the torrential rains that fell on Tuesday evening (believe me, it was scary driving over the Sunshine Skyway bridge on my way up to the St. Pete Times Forum in the downpours), the only field that could support play at the start of the day on Wednesday was field 3, the Field Turf field. As a result, they set a staggered schedule to have all games played in 2 hour intervals at that field, starting at 10am. Team Waner drew the noon start.

In the game versus Team Clemente (field 3, 12:00 noon), I finished 2 for 3 with two doubles, two RBIs and a run scored on the first double, and a strikeout swinging. Unfortunately, I also misplayed 3 balls in left field. However, I must say that the winds were very ferocious, which did not do anything for my relative inexperience at playing baseball.

We tried to stage a late comeback, but we were too far behind and lost by a final score of 14 to 12 to fall to a record of 1-3.

That evening, they had the autograph session with all of the former Pirates players. I had a bunch of vintage cards that I got signed by all of the players, I had all of the 1971 Pirates (basically everybody there except for Teke, Candy, and Grant Jackson) sign a baseball, and they gave us a souvenir baseball bat that I had all of the former Pirates sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment