Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 4

There was nothing but a clear sunsplashed sky on the weather agenda on Thursday, a perfect day for baseball.  Let's play two, as Ernie Banks was famous for saying.

We needed two wins to get into the playoffs, and started off with a nice win in the morning game (field 3, 10:45am) over Team Stargell (a.k.a. Team Blass), and let me just say that we pounded them mercilessly by a final score of 11 to 2. Personally, I went 2 for 3 with a single (forced out at second), another single with a run scored, and a pop fly to shortstop. In the field, I only had one real chance for a catch on a sinking line drive that was just out of my reach. With the win, our record went to 2-3 and we had confidence that we could make it into the playoffs.

The afternoon game (field 1, 2:15pm) saw Team Waner playing against the Team Cuyler, which is the team that my roommate, Tom, plays for. In this game, Tom started on the mound, and I faced him just once, drawing a walk. After that, I was hit by a pitch and scored a run, and in my third and final plate appearance of the day, I hit a single that drove in a run to put us up 4-3 in the top of the 6th inning. Unfortunately, Tom's team came back with two runs in the bottom of the 7th inning to win the game. In the field, I did finally make a catch, it was a somewhat routine catch. They were filming the game, if I get the video I will try to post it.

For the evening, we had our Team Waner dinner at Woody's BBQ here in Bradenton. There was much joking going on, and a good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment