Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 1

Day one of my sophomore season at Pirates Fantasy Camp began with the 5 inning evaluation game.  For the game I was assigned to Team 4 and had a single with 2 RBI, I grounded into a fielder's choice, and I struck out swinging after battling the pitcher and fouling off a few. I played 3 innings in the outfield and 1 as the catcher and did not have any chances.

As a result of my evaluation game efforts, I was drafted by Team Stargell headed up by Manny Sanguillen and Bob Walk. Our first test was the afternoon game (field 4, 3:15pm) against Team Cuyler led by Steve Blass and Gary Redus. You knew that they were going to have good pitching because of Blass, and this turned out to be the case as they handled us pretty easily. Personally,  I worked a hard fought walk in my first at-bat, struck out swinging in my second at-bat, and hit a double with 2 outs in the top of the 7th inning, but was stranded there. In the field, I played 3 innings in right field without any chances, and then Bob Walk moved me to first base, where I had 4 putouts, 2 on ground outs to shortstop and 2 on pop flies. We are hurting a bit from our 0 and 1 start, but tomorrow is another day and hopefully we won't run into the hot pitching that we saw today.

At least it was nice and warm here today. Although I heard that it was also pretty unseasonably warm up north as well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment